Re: msys2 build path problems + copy-paste english results in chinese ch

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: msys2 build path problems + copy-paste english results in chinese characters
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 19:25:54 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: arthur miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
>> Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 15:04:50 +0000
>>
>> I copy pasted english text in newly compiled Emacs, and get back some text
>> in Chinese (at least I think it is)
>
> Copy-pasted from which application?
Emacs!

I copy-pasted the raw above, I did it with the mouse though. :-) After I took
the
screenshot I redo it by marking and copying via M-w and C-y and it worked.

> If it's an MSYS2 application, then I suspect the problem is MSYS2 apps
> encode copied text in UTF-8 (since Cygwin does, AFAIK), whereas a
> native MS-Windows build of Emacs expects a UTF-16 encoding.
>
>> Also, as seen exec-path is wrong. I started, as recommended, via windows
>> means (shortcuts) instead of
>> msys/mingw prompts.
>
> Wrong how?  I don't see anything about exec-path in the image you
> posted.

Look at warning from the native-comp in window below; it can not find assemblern
(gnu as). When looking at exec-path I see no paths from mingw present anywhere,
but I did found "." in the path, which I haven't put there myself.