Re: File names in ChangeLog entries

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: File names in ChangeLog entries
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 13:46:52 -0500

>>     * filename (func): Short description
>>
>>     Explanation
>>
>>     * filename (func): Short description.
>>
>> ?
>
> No.  I don't understand why you insist on putting the file/function
> part on the first (a.k.a. "header") line.  The header line is supposed
> to be a summary, so that the likes of

The first line summary should also summarize the files.

The Linux kernel uses the same principle where the first line starts
with a description of the "subsystem" that's affected.

That goes back to my original message in this thread: I regularly see
commit messages where the first line is only complete if you know to
which (set of) file(s) the change is applied.

E.g.:

    Avoid unnecessary call when pixel scrolling

Maybe this is a change in the `pixel-scroll` package, but it could also
be a change in some completely different package which happens to fix
a problem that occurs when used in conjunction with pixel scrolling.

        Stefan