Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 13:46:31 +0800

> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>> Most distributions will probably release Emacs 28.1 with native
>>> compilation switched on.
>>
>> Why is that so?  Most distributions only build their Emacs packages with
>> the default options.

> Several distributions have signalled that they want to ship Emacs with
> native compilation switched on (and at least one said they're going to
> be doing a full ahead-of-time build, if I remember correctly) --
> presumably because that'll give their users a faster Emacs.

Could you give a definitive list?

Otherwise, "several" to me doesn't sound like "most".  I can plausibly
imagine distributions such as Arch doing so, but not much more aside
from that.

Some distributions will probably have separate packages (like what we
have with distributions shipping emacs, emacs-lucid, and emacs-nox) for
native compilation, but I cannot imagine it becoming the default.

Thanks.