Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Enabling native compilation by default when libgccjit is present
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 16:54:02 +1100

> Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>> Most distributions will probably release Emacs 28.1 with native
>>> compilation switched on.
>>
>> Why is that so?  Most distributions only build their Emacs packages with
>> the default options.
>
> Several distributions have signalled that they want to ship Emacs with
> native compilation switched on (and at least one said they're going to
> be doing a full ahead-of-time build, if I remember correctly) --
> presumably because that'll give their users a faster Emacs.

Does it actually give that much of a performance boost? It has been a
couple of months since I tried native compilation in Emacs 28, but when
I did, I noticed next to no performance improvement at all. In fact, all
I did notice was lots of warnings and significant delays whenever I
updated packages.

I stopped using it partly because of all the warnings and delays when
updating packages, but mainly because I seemed to run into a number of
issues with org mode (most of which I think have now been addressed).
I've actually never noticed any speed problems with Emacs. Where there
are delays, it is due to the synchronous nature of what I'm doing rather
than basic performance. Besides, the slowest component in my environment
is the old bit of slow carbon using the keyboard :-)