Re: msys2 build path problems + copy-paste english results in chinese ch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: msys2 build path problems + copy-paste english results in chinese characters
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 12:17:48 +0200

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 09:16:50 +0100
>
> I have been back to windows now, and got server/dameon to work again, paths
> fixed etc. Then I have experienced something I think is a bug and wanted to
> test it in a clean Emacs, so I started new instance with -Q option. I copied
> text from my customized Emacs with by marking text and using kill-ring-save
> (M-w). In clean Emacs I pasted it with yank (C-y) and result came out
> completely scrambled, screenshot included.

I think the reason for this is in your customizations in Emacs from
which you did the M-w.  It sounds like it somehow uses an encoding
other than UTF-16 to encode the text it puts into the clipboard.

> Regarding what I think is bug; I can't make a frame from elisp if I pass in
> both
> width and height.

Can you please separate the bugs?  This is unrelated to the issue with
copy/paste.

> This code gives me "memory exhausted .." error (C stack
> overflow?):
>
> (defvar emw--frame nil)
>
> (let ((w (display-pixel-width))
>       (h (display-pixel-height)))
>         (setq emw--frame (make-frame
>                           `((width . ,w)
>                             (height . ,h)
>                             (visibility . t)
>                             (auto-raise . nil)
>                             (skip-taskbar . t)
>                             (no-focus-on-map . t)
>                             (no-accept-focus . t)
>                             (undecorated . t)
>                             (unsplittable . t)
>                             (z-group . below)
>                             (no-other-frame . t)
>                             (minibuffer . nil)
>                             (tool-bar-lines . 0)
>                             (menu-bar-lines . 0)
>                             (left-fringe . 0)
>                             (right-fringe . 0)
>                             (border-width . 0)
>                             (internal-border-width . 0)
>                             (vertical-scroll-bars . nil)
>                             (horizontal-scroll-bars . nil)))))

When I evaluate the above in "emacs -Q", Emacs signals an error:

  (error "Value ‘below’ for z-group is not supported on Windows")

So I wonder why you get a different result.  What version of Emacs is
that?