Re: sqlite3

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 13:58:40 +0000

Thanks for the paper!
I think we can safely assume we only need internal objects in
Emacs — people probably won't use Emacs to handle millions
of business record (not fit into main memory) in foreseeable future.

It does remind me that there’s another way to actually implement
incremental persistence in Elisp:

> 1. A persistent hash table can be declared as :value-mutable t.
>   In such case it will make an internal copy of its values ...
>
> 2. A very radical approach (I consider it probably the “right” way).
>    Add a cell-mutated-hook to Emacs Lisp VM …

3. Provide a function (SYNC-DATUM DATUM STORE),
    and rely on user/package author to call it everytime
    some datum which is also a part of a persistent store
    is mutated.
    This is probably the most flexible solution, with minimal
    overhead, by shifting more responsibility to package authors.

Best,
Qiantan