Re: sqlite3

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 16:08:20 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> SQLite is everywhere, is it not?  So we add it as a build dependency,
>> just like we do with other things.
>
> Does that imply requiring it for Emacs to build and work?

If we would go this route, I personally wouldn't see it as high priority
to support non-sqlite builds.  But that's me.

>> Is DJGPP relevant outside of the MS-DOS build?
>
> No, but the MS-DOS build is still relevant.

I don't see that, myself.

In any case, AFAIK, the policy is that we provide support for such
platforms to the extent that people volunteer to keep them running.

> For example, we would lose the ability to inspect custom files as plain
> text.  In many cases, customize has written bad data to my custom file
> that prevented Emacs from working, but I could always edit the custom
> file manually to get things working again.
>
> This would not be so easy with a binary database.

As long as we're clear that no one has suggested wholesale replacing
customize with binary data, I agree that this is clearly one of the
drawbacks of SQLite over prin1+write-region.  I don't think it's bad
enough to be catastrophic, however, and there are many upsides as well.