Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2021 08:51:28 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I'd rather sustain a barrage of annoyed people who think these
> warnings are gratuitous than explain to someone why Emacs decided to
> shut up these warnings by default and thus prevented him/her from
> seeing some warning which, if seen in time, could avoid a crash or
> some other catastrophic result.

In my opinion, it's not something we should be showing to users.  It's
highly irregular that we do -- we didn't present users saying "emacs"
with all the compilation warnings from building Emacs in Emacs 27.2, but
that's (in effect) what we're doing now.

Compilation warnings are for developers, not users, so builds that are
geared towards users (as pretests are) should have this switched off.