Re: sqlite3

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2021 07:55:44 +0100

Daniel Fleischer <danflscr@gmail.com> writes:

> Pip Cet [2021-12-08 Wed 18:36] wrote:
>
>> The proposal is to have Emacs store some user data in some binary
>> format that cannot be readily inspected, diffed, backed up,
>> version-controlled, shared, altered, or understood. (Or archived,
>> published, indexed, checksummed, ...)
>
> It's a binary file, sure, but what exactly prevents your from backing it
> up? or putting it under git, sharing it, calculating its checksum or
> exploring it via a free tool such as sqlite-browser?

Of course you can do all of the above, but keep in mind that adding,
deleting or editing a row can have arbitrarily large effects on the
binary representation of the database.

And having to install an specific tool just to "explore" the database's
contents (read: have access within the tool's constraints) doesn't look
like very enticing perspective to me.

So you can do with a database a lot of things we usually do with text
files, but "readily" does not apply.