Re: sqlite3

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 20:30:20 +0000

> Of course, if we give Emacs such a capability, it's to let it be
> capable of storing etc.  What else did you expect?  It's still just a
> capability, and any of its use in core warrants a separate discussion.
If that’s indeed the case, then sure. I’m against using database,
but have no opinion on adding support without using it.

It follows logically from my 5 arguments that there will be
no useful case for database in Emacs, even if there appear to
be some, they could always be done better with pure Emacs Lisp.
I didn’t see any refutation to those arguments.

Resist! Is intended to constructively prove the above "could always be
done better with pure Emacs Lisp” proposition.
If you ever find any use case that cannot be done with resist! and
can only resort to sqlite3, let me know, I’ll try to solve it,
or I’ll admit defeat.

Resist! probably still need a few versions to mature, but interface
should remain unchanged.

> At that time, if you think some use of this capability is not the best
> idea, please voice your opinions and propose alternatives you think
> are better.

What is the usage pattern of gnus registry and can it be backed using
resist!?

Best,
Qiantan