Re: persistent data feature

From: Alexandre Garreau
Subject: Re: persistent data feature
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 21:47:16 +0100

Le sabato, 11-a de decembro 2021, 21-a horo kaj 15:03 CET Eli Zaretskii a
écrit :
> > From: Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com>
> > Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 20:36:29 +0100
> >
> > Also I find the trend of linking everything into the emacs process
>
> > concerning:
> What's the alternative? to reinvent all the wheels in Emacs's own
> code? to use external programs? something else?  Rejecting a trend for
> which there are no better alternatives is not smart.
>
> > $ ldd .emacs-27.2 | wc -l
> > 107
>
> Did you try comparing this with other similar applications?

Actually ldd shows the recursive dependencies (it runs the program) rather
than the direct dependencies, it would be more fair to use readelf for
that purpose (and readelf also doesn’t requires you to run the program, so
it’s a safe habit that prevents security issues):

gal@galex-713:~$ readelf -d /usr/bin/emacs | grep -c NEEDED
44
gal@galex-713:~$ readelf -d /usr/bin/nano | grep -c NEEDED
3
gal@galex-713:~$ readelf -d /usr/bin/nano | grep -c NEEDED
3
gal@galex-713:~$ readelf -d /usr/bin/zile | grep -c NEEDED
5
gal@galex-713:~$ readelf -d /usr/bin/vim.tiny | grep -c NEEDED
4
gal@galex-713:~$ readelf -d /usr/bin/vim.nox | grep -c NEEDED
13
gal@galex-713:~$ readelf -d /usr/bin/vim.gtk3 | grep -c NEEDED
27
gal@galex-713:~$ readelf -d /usr/bin/pluma | grep -c NEEDED
18
gal@galex-713:~$ readelf -d /usr/bin/gedit | grep -c NEEDED
5
gal@galex-713:~$ readelf -d /usr/bin/kwrite | grep -c NEEDED
16
gal@galex-713:~$ readelf -d /usr/bin/kate | grep -c NEEDED
27
gal@galex-713:~$ readelf -d /usr/bin/codeblocks | grep -c NEEDED
15

We can however observe that, by direct usage, emacs is more demanding than
other similar software.  Even though, in practice, it is pretty similare
in memory footprint since, indirectly, it requires pretty much the same
(essentially graphical) libraries as other similar graphical software.