Re: sqlite3

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2021 22:59:54 -0500

  > > But it does imply that sqlite3 should not be the default way to store
  > > persistent Emacs data.

  > Which is exactly what is being planned.

I couldn't tell that from the messagse I saw, but I'm glad people
had already made this decision.

                                             No one has any intention to
  > go over all the data Emacs stores between sessions and convert all of
  > them to sqlite3.  We only plan to use that where a data base is large,
  > and thus using plain text there is unwieldy.

I think we should define a program interface for "save this data
persistently", hook it up to _both_ formats (textual Lisp and
sqlite3), then design each piece of code that saves persistent data
to use whichever representation is selected at the time.

Eventually we might convert all the existing places that make
persistent data so that they use this interface and can save the data
either way.