Re: Possible XInput2 cursor bug ?

From: Madhu
Subject: Re: Possible XInput2 cursor bug ?
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 20:25:02 +0530 (IST)

*  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> <83ilvup9lx.fsf@gnu.org>
Wrote on Sun, 12 Dec 2021 09:26:18 +0200

>> Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2021 10:41:21 +0530 (IST)
>> From: Madhu <enometh@meer.net>
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> [side comment: The GDB footprint for emacs -Q -D is 3-4GB. for
>> native-compilation it seems to be 1GB more.
>
> What do you mean by "GDB footprint"?  Is that the GDB memory
> consumption?
yes, I meant resident memory reported by ps/top

>> gdb is also slow to load frames with jit on
>
> Maybe you should tell GDB not to read symbols automatically from the
> shared libraries loaded by Emacs:
>
>   (gdb) set auto-solib-add off

That helps a lot. (It brings down the RES reported in top to 2.5G in
jit builds, I may be misinterpreting what I'm seeing but a non-native
build shows only some 100M in use by gdb)

> Do that inside GDB, before you run Emacs with the "run" command.  This
> should both speed up loading frames and decrease the memory footprint
> of GDB.
>
>> and a new fingerprint on every `make' makes jit infeasible during
>> "development".
>
> I don't understand this part.  Can you elaborate?

Like when I updated master to check the fix, the ELN files had to be
generated again because it's a new emacs. And master is going to be
shortlived and require a new fingerprint very shortly.

But I hit another problem. When I edited xterm.c and hit `make' emacs
was  built but is not able to run, I got a

emacs: Trying to load incoherent dumped eln file
/12/build/emacs/build-xt/native-lisp/29.0.50-473a9dd2/preloaded/subr-13adf6a6-a6425de0.eln