Re: sqlite3

From: Tomas Hlavaty
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 18:58:37 +0100

On Tue 14 Dec 2021 at 17:59, Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
> Tomas Hlavaty <tom@logand.com> writes:
>> So it turned out that sqlite is actually slower
>> but Emacs is stuck with sqlite dependency anyway?
>> Is my understanding correct?
>
> Are you asking whether Emacs now supports reading, listing and editing
> sqlite files?  The answer is yes.

No, the issue is not if Emacs supports sqlite.
Emacs supports many things depending on the definition of "support".

The issue is that Emacs now depends on sqlite.
Even though the reason for introducing this dependency
turned out to be wrong.
The arguments for introducing this dependency as a linked library
dismissed other options as wrong and even "not smart".
Now it turned out that all those arguments were wrong.
But the sqlite dependency is going to stay.
So it actually turned out that the only reason for pushing this
dependency was that some people want it but have no good reason
to justify it.
I find that really puzzling.
That is why I ask if my understanding is correct.
Maybe there was some good reason after all, which I missed.
If not, I would expect Emacs to use the proposed superior pure lisp solution
and removing the sqlite dependency completely.
Otherwise it is no wonder that Emacs dependencies are exploding.