Re: sqlite3

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: sqlite3
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2021 01:13:31 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> In my mail program, mutt, I load my entire mail collection into memory
> every time I start it.  That's around 140,000 mails, it's over 2 GB, and
> it loads and threads in 7 or 8 seconds.

And you are concerned about the bloat added by sqlite! ;-)

What you describe is a huge waste of RAM and time, unless you need to
scan all those mails many times on every session. And even then it still
would be a waste of RAM. (I wonder how that affects the time required
for a gc cycle?)

If using a proper database you could have almost zero RAM overhead and
almost zero init time overhead.

This practice of loading everything into RAM only goes so far. Doing
what you describe would be unacceptable to me. It is important to
provide a method for efficiently handling large amounts of stored data.
It will benefit some existing packages and make feasible new features.