Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: native-comp-async-report-warnings-errors default value
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:14:43 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Then flip it.  For yourself.  Why decide for all the others?

I have been reluctant to do that, as that would stop me from testing how
it works by default.

> But if "by popular demand" and other pressure, you will decide to
> disable the warnings nonetheless, I won't mount the barricades.  My
> opinion about this is unchanged, but feel free to disregard it.

I just recompiled, and I'm sitting again with mostly unusable Emacs for
the last 5-10 minutes or so.  Warnings popping up in the middle of
searches and trying to get things done.

For example, while writing this email, I was helpfully informed (among
other things) that:

Warning (comp): yasnippet.el:477:1: Warning: defvar
`yas-after-exit-snippet-hook' docstring wider than 80 characters
Disable showing Disable logging

I find the current situation untenable, especially if we expect some
high profile GNU/Linux distributions to be shipping
--with-native-compilation by default.

Unless there is a specific request not to do that from the maintainers,
I intend to flip the default to `silent' on emacs-28 in the next couple
of days.  If there is such a request, I will not insist further.

Thanks in advance.