matlab in ELPA (or tree) part II: are all requirements fulfilled?

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: matlab in ELPA (or tree) part II: are all requirements fulfilled?
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 10:53:45 +0100

Hello

A couple of weeks ago I asked whether it is possible to include matlab
mode in ELPA or in the Emacs tree.

After some discussion RMS approved it, if, of course all required copyright
assignments are done.

Since then I tried to investigate this issue, by:

    1. Running git blame

    2. Checking whether the authors of commits.

       a. Signed the papers.

       b. Or if not, their corresponding  contribution is too small

       c. Their contribution has been removed.

    3. I repeated this procedure by checking the git logs and our old
       ChangeLog files. Then if a patch was mentioned, I generated a
       patch file by running diff comparing that particular commit with
       the commit before and repeating the steps above.

I pushed my findings to  a new branch to our
repository at sourceforge:
 git://git.code.sf.net/p/matlab-emacs/src matlab-emacs-src

The  branch is  called copyright. It contains a file
copyright.org with a table of patches and their state of art.

That branch also includes a directory called copyright-patches, that
contains all patches I could reconstruct.

Could someone, who is acquainted with these issues, please check and
tell me whether the requirements are satisfied, please??

Before doing this an important issue which needs a clarification.

Matlab goes back to 1991 when Matt Wette wrote the first version. In
around 2000 he sent his code to Eric Ludlam, who ever since has been the
main contributor and maintainer. The package dwelled in CVS and was
finally converted to git.

The first git commit is from December first 2005 and my findings only
cover all commits starting from 2005.

Eric told me that he is sure that there are no traces left in matlab
mode from the pre 2005 epoch, but I simply don't know how to verify
this.

GNU emacs is even older, but somehow its git repositories has quiet old
entries for example the first commit is

◍  changeset:   0:9bbf4f770ef3
   Branch:      default