Re: Motif support

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 23:44:07 -0500

  > 21! Since then, I think a lot of assumptions about hardware have
  > changed or are changing: GPUs are now ubiquitous,

In the free software community, GPUs are sometimes absent or
nonfunctional.  That's because many of them require the installed
operating system to contain nonfree software, and some of us refuse
to install a system which contains that.

What this means for Emacs is that we need to keep it working well
on the machines where some or all of the GPU's functionality is absent.
(I won't say "missing".)

Someday we will have processors that with GPUs that don't
require users to install nonfree software, and that problem will
cease.  But I don't expect that to happen next year.

  > None of which will require a rewrite to support.  In fact, Emacs 29
  > already supports precision mice, high definition displays, multitouch
  > trackpads, and digitizers.  On X, both the non-Cairo and Cairo builds
  > make use of hardware acceleration whenever available through both the
  > Glamor component of the X server and the X render extension.

We should take care not to add features to Emacs which _need_ the
acceleration, because they won't work well on the machines without
graphics acceleration.