Re: Migrating to sourcehut - what's missing?

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Migrating to sourcehut - what's missing?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 22:08:11 +0000

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> Hello, what features does sourcehut offer, in comparison to
> the following site? https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/

Sourcehut is a "development forge", that is to say it intends to provide
the services needed by projects to collaborate such as repository
hosting, mailing lists, build systems, issue trackers, etc.  The
difference to other provides (GitHub, GitLab, ...) is that it intends to
support mail driven development as a first class citizen.

Cgit is (to my understanding) just a web interface for a git repository,
which is only one part of sourcehut (the git.sr.ht).

Moving to sourcehut could provide a more integrated system and add
features such as continuous integration and issue tracking ("What has to
be done for feature/... to be merged", "What issues are blocking the
release of Emacs 28", etc.) that currently (appear) to not exist or be
used.  Especially the last thing could give new comers (but also people
like me who don't have the time to follow every thread) a better
overview of what the current state of a topic is, without having to read
through threads upon threads on the mailing list.

(I am just uncertain of how this and the mail driven development work
together.  Or would be need a special client for that?)

--
        Philip Kaludercic