Re: Development Speed

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 18:45:24 +0800

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> How much RAM that machine has?

That machine is a Pentium 4 with 768 MB of RAM.  It is perfectly suited
to running Emacs with some customizations written for it to fill out
forms that need to be printed.

> Do you think it is justified to keep Windows-9X support on Emacs for
> just a few anecdotal uses?

Yes I do, because there is no reason to break it.

> If your answer is that the extra work it adds is negligible and that
> you will keep the maintenance burden, don't you think that keeping a
> separate branch for Windows-9X (or any retro-computing platform, for
> that matter) would be more adequate, instead of forcing everyone else
> to go over that code when they read the sources?

Not many people have to go through that code when reading the sources.
grep for `is_windows_9x', and you will see that we only test for Windows
9x in a few places.  It's also not a "retro computing platform" when
people are relying on it for real work, as opposed to play.

Eli being the MS-Windows expert here, I think he can explain further.