Re: Touchscreen support

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Touchscreen support
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 12:46:02 +0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > > 2. Is it possible for Emacs to work with that new method?
>
>   > Yes, but that would require very large changes.  For instance, Lisp code
>   > wouldn't be able to create frames anymore, that task instead being
>   > delegated to GTK+.

> I am confused by this statement.  The first half seems to talk about
> the interface for Lisp code, while the second talks about internals.
> Why can't Lisp code direct GTK+ to create a new frame?

It's not recommended anymore by the GTK+ developers.  Frames created
that way won't fit into the GtkApplication framework.

> Does this mean they have decided not to support Emacs any more?
> Have they said anything about this problem?

They haven't mentioned Emacs specifically, though it won't immediately
affect Emacs, as we use GTK 3 instead of GTK 4.

> If that solution remains possible, I guess the problem isn't so bad --
> a least, not with X11.

It's still an imitation of the built-in GTK menu bar widget.  You can
still notice subtle differences between how it behaves and how the
built-in widget does.

> But maybe with the new fashion in toolkits that solution won't exist
> any more.  Is that what you're saying?

Yes.