Re: Motif support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 08:54:36 +0200

> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 00:44:06 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> >> Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2021 21:08:31 +0100
> >>
> >> You can use a cross-platform layer for that.
> >
> > That's a different suggestion.  This one does make sense, we "just"
> > need a volunteer to sit down and do it.
> But you already have one such layer om Emacs; Gtk, GDK is a cross platform
> rendering layer Gtk uses, but Emacs could use just Cairo which is also used by
> Emacs.

GTK is not really cross-platform, and more importantly, is being
developed in directions that make it harder and harder to use in
Emacs.  So Emacs should not throw all the eggs into the GTK basket,
quite the opposite: we should find a way of migrating away of GTK
(assuming we can find a good replacement).