Re: Motif support

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 12:53:18 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> writes:
>
>> Actually, I percieve that for freedom of software it is equally
>> important to have documentation for the sources as the sources
>> themselves. Situation with docs is somewhat addressed in last years or
>> so, but there were times when many GNU projects came out with very few
>> comments, usually no dev docs, and scarce descriptions about
>> internals. I said several times to Eli Z. to write a book about Emacs
>> internals; that would probably be the best boost to Emacs development.
>
> Emacs internals are documented very well, inside both the relevant parts
> of the Lisp reference manual and the code itself.  Writing a book would
> not make for much benefit.  In fact, it would become tiresome to keep
> that book up to date.
Situation has got much better in late years. It wasn't always so.

> I think that there is a misconception floating around the internet that
> Emacs internals are difficult to understand.  Certain individuals
> spreading misinformation hold a great deal of responsibility for this
> situation.  IOW, a significant boost to Emacs development will result
> from combating this disinformation.
Ok. We have all seen how much personal guidance you have needed from
Eli on even a minor details to get your offsceen lines working. If you think it
is so easy, why didn't you just hand in a patch that worked? Cmon, seriosuly.

I don't know how much time you have on your disposal, but looking at how many
different things on Emacs you are commenting/working on, how many OS systems you
write you use, all from Windows 9x to Haiky, all kind of strange X
configurations and so on, you must have all days on your disposal to hack
Emacs. It is great, and your work is appreciated. But if you expect eveyrone to
have that time is unrealistic. To say certain individuals spread missinformation
is just plain immature. Nobody is spreading missinformation, and certainly not
on purpose.