Re: Development Speed

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Development Speed
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 11:35:44 -0500

> Then there is VLAs, won't using C99 result in the worse optimization?

Compiler optimizations have very little impact on Emacs-style code
anyway.

> We would need to know how many UB related bugs are hiding in
> entirety of Emacs for me to make any real case anyway.

According to any of the C standards, Emacs is just one large
undefined behavior.

> Maybe the historical and current reasoning regarding to the choice of
> "-std=" with their pro/contra exist in a series of comments, or somewhere
> else, then I (or any other n00b) can refer that instead of bothering you
> with these.  Thanks for indulging my curiosity so far.

AFAIK this is only used to try and get better warnings.

We don't care what feature belongs to which standard.  So if you want to
suggest changes, either send a concrete patch or discuss
concrete/detailed language features you think we should be using (or
should stop using), with a mention of which versions of which compilers
support them.

        Stefan