Re: Variable pitch mode line

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Variable pitch mode line
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 21:20:35 +0200

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> Cc: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>,  tsdh@gnu.org,  larsi@gnus.org,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 20:38:00 +0200
>
> > It's not a simple bug, and I'm not sure distro packagers can alone
> > make this happen.  The Texinfo project has no good system for
> > installing HTML-formatted documentation in a way that links between
> > manuals work reliably.
>
> Why HTML files couldn't be installed in the same dir where all files
> in the Info format are installed?

Because AFAIK that's not the canonical place where HTML docs are
installed, they are somewhere in /usr/share/doc/.

> Then it's the task of the Info reader to handle links between
> manuals in the HTML format the same way as links in the Info format
> are handled by the Info reader.

The additional difficulty, apart of the top-level directory, is that
HTML docs can either be produced as a single file or as separate files
per chapter/section, and then the directory structure (and
correspondingly the job of resolving links) becomes more complicated.

It isn't rocket science to fix this, but it's not something distro
maintainers can do, it's something Texinfo should do, perhaps
consulting with us.