Re: Motif support

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 02:17:32 +0100 (CET)

Dec 24, 2021, 03:38 by luangruo@yahoo.com:

> That benefit is hardly established.

We could establish deeper, but any developer who worked
on both traditional desktop apps or graphical apps with their
own rendering like "games" will tell you same things.

> What about locating the font files to open? Scaling glyphs, which is
> usually the job of the platform, and essentially required for color
> Emoji? What about displaying the resulting bitmap, or decomposed glyph
> outline?
>
> All those tasks need platform-dependent code, and about the same amount
> as supporting the native font rasterizer.
>
> Then take a look at ftfont.c, the "abstract" FreeType font driver,
> unless you're saying we should also reinvent the (platform-specific)
> code to detect and use installed fonts?

You kinda have to use platform dependent features directly, as we
are not programming into aether.  However, painting menus isn't one.
You don't need a third-party solution, whether it is from platform itself
like legacy win32 GUI elements or another library.  Using them is like
using a sledgehammer to drive a nail in Emacs' case. We could even do
the text rendering itself too, provided an expert would contribute it to
Emacs.  But no one said let's do text rendering, AFAIK.