Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 20:27:21 +0800

xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
writes:

> Optional?  What I understood from you that it would be the only
> connection between Emacs and Wayland in the new system, to avoid
> dealing with the Wayland directly.

Yes, but we will not run only on Wayland.  Besides, I wasn't talking
about a "new system", I was referring to what we have now as the PGTK
port.

> Surely intrusive, event-driven libs like GTK necessitate changes in
> our code, which are otherwise unnecessary complexity elsewhere, when
> GTK isn't even used?

Being "event-driven" is hardly why GTK is problematic.  A small file
named xgselect.c takes care of the GLib event loop with some clever
code, so we don't have to worry about it anywhere else.