Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 08:57:13 +0800

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

>> Your version of Motif is either too old to support Xft, or your system
>> is incorrectly configured.

> I'm using Debian Testing.

That doesn't tell if your Motif is installed correctly with the
appropriate build options.

>> Try adding the following resources to your X server:
>>
>>   *.renderTable: variable
>>   *.renderTable.variable.fontName: Sans
>>   *.renderTable.variable.fontSize: 8
>>   *.renderTable.variable.fontType: FONT_IS_XFT

> No, I don't need to tinker with configuration files for any other app to
> look good and I wont start doing it for something that offers no benefit
> over what I already use.

If you aren't interested, then I suggest you ignore the problem: Motif
users will use CDE, which configures Motif properly by default, or have
their system configured to suit them.

Similarly, you will get Courier drawn through Core Fonts if you build
the Lucid toolkit without Xft or Cairo support.