Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:17:22 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > So you'd suggest to the OP to develop the software in the hope that
>> > all of the above will happen?  And if it doesn't, just agree for the
>> > results to be abandoned?  The OP would have to agree to that.
>>
>> Why oh why you don't just say "go ahead and we will look at your work
>> when you have something to show" ?
>
> I did -- but that was before I understood what was being proposed.
> The OP wanted assurance that the code will be accepted once done,

Oh, I missed that part. xenodasein: is that really what you want or is
there a misunderstanding here?

> and
> I cannot in good faith give him that, given what's being actually
> proposed.

Obviously you can't give that type of assurances for any proposal.

>> To insist: the proposed system would have three characteristics:
>>
>> 1. Cross-platform (as the proposal's subject says)
>>
>> 2. Simplicity, compared to what we have now.
>>
>> 3. New graphical capabilities that will make possible new high-level
>>    features.
>>
>> I don't know why you keep ignoring point 3, which is the most important,
>> and reduce the proposal to "oh, someone wants to add one more graphical
>> backend."
>
> I'm not ignoring anything.  You, OTOH, ignore both what is being
> proposed and the rest of the discussion.  In effect, you are talking
> about an entirely different proposal, one about which I said it
> _would_ make sense.

Well, maybe I'm thinking on what *I* would like to see instead on what
the OP is actually proposing.

xenodasein: would you say that my 3 points above fully describe your
proposal?