Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 15:30:59 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> On 25.12.2021 16:31, Po Lu wrote:
>> Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:
>>
>>> AFAIK, no ports other than PGTK have any Wayland support either.
>>
>>> So with the transition of GNU/Linux world from X to Wayland, we'd
>>> either have drop all other ports (aside from w32 and ns, I suppose),
>>> or end up dealing with this somehow anyway.
>> We are not going to drop the X port.  Wayland is important, but it's
>> only available on a small amount of systems, certainly not all the
>> Unix-like systems currently support.
>> Other free systems such as FreeBSD immediately come to mind.
>
> PGTK still supports X. And supports well, AFAIK.
>
> But with it becoming increasingly irrelevant over the coming decade,
> it should become more and more practical to drop the other ports.
> Though I'm sure we'll be reluctant to do that.

Yes.

Some people write here as if time doesn't exist, as if living in some
sort of static universe or on a pre-industrial age :-)

I would be surprised if the proposed system were ready to be released as
an experimental feature in less than 4 years. Add another 4 to stabilize
before it can be considered as a replacement for the legacy graphical
backends.