Re: Not using DOC for ELisp files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Not using DOC for ELisp files
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 14:44:23 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 20:48:22 -0500
>
> The patch below removes from the DOC file the docstrings coming from
> ELisp files.

What does this mean in terms of the run-time requirements in order to
get the doc strings for preloaded files?  Does it mean their *.elc
files should be available from the installation tree?  Or does it mean
the *.el files (which might be compressed) must be available?  And
what does this mean for a natively-compiled installation?

If there are any non-trivial consequences of this change, i.e. distros
will now need to make sure something happens that they didn't before,
I think we should get their opinions before we install this.

Thanks.