Re: Multimedia dashboard in GNU Emacs

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Multimedia dashboard in GNU Emacs
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 08:59:08 +0800

Aiko Kyle <aikokyle@gmail.com> writes:

> As I see. So in this idea, the entire webpage would be rendered in the
> case of a xwidget webkit? That seems like it would be costly for
> especially large webpages.

WebKit in general tends to choke on large webpages, so I'm not too
worried.

> Do you then plan on implementing other xwidget types besides the
> webkit one? I think with respect to the UI, osr makes more sense for
> other widget types like buttons.

Yes, there will be a GStreamer widget: it will use multiple video sinks
connected to a single tee, allowing for a source to be displayed in
multiple windows without offscreen rendering.

> I agree the offscreen rendering is more general, however it seems to
> me to add significant complexity that would be unnecessary if the UI
> for it doesn't require it. Especially since the one-to-one webkit
> buffer-window paradigm already has to be accounted for on ns, where
> osr isn't available.

I consider that a bug, but I don't know enough about NS development to
fix it.