Re: On Contributing To Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On Contributing To Emacs
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 09:37:31 +0200

> From: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>, Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>,
>  Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 22:01:15 +0100
>
> One other thing noone seems to mention is that when you change jobs, you
> have to do it all over again.

It's mentioned frequently enough, don't worry.

What's also mentioned is that you could negotiate a contract which
says software you write on your free time is not the property of the
employer, at least under some reasonable conditions, and then you
don't need to ask them for any legal paperwork when you contribute to
Emacs.  And before you say that this is only a theoretical
possibility: I'm one person with such a contract (well, was, before I
retired).