Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'di

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: master 18b680cfd1: Fix bug#52467 by adding a new custom variable 'display-comint-buffer-action'
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 19:41:09 +0100

> Well, perhaps "unpredictable" is the wrong word.  But if we want to make
> these commands behave the same (and I think we do), then some of them
> have to change, and the change committed seems like the most consistent
> and useful one.

'pop-to-buffer-same-window' was conceived as a stand-in for
'switch-to-buffer' so that people could customize it via
'display-buffer-alist'.  Using it as stand-in for 'pop-to-buffer' is
tantamount to using 'switch-to-buffer' as stand-in for 'pop-to-buffer'.

I'm not sure whether we should want to "make these commands behave the
same".  But if we do, we have to provide some _simple_ knob to let users
get the old behavior without having to think about how to match names of
buffers they possibly never cared about with the help of a regular
expression.

martin