Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 21:51:26 -0800

> On Jan 1, 2022, at 7:22 PM, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I think copy and pasting code would be more straightforward. Using
>> custom, whether by defining a custom theme or directly using customize
>> are more complicated. Plus I don’t know how to use custom for key
>> bindings.
>
> I didn't mean keys, just normal options.
>
> Not using custom means the user will be asked mysterious questions when
> he tries to customize the option later, and the customization might not
> work.

I think splitting them into different parts would be confusing. On the other
hand, “variable modified outside Customize” isn’t that mysterious IMO.
Customize’s settings should always override other code, I think they are
appended at the end of init.el every time they are saved. Speaking of that, we
are not supposed to use custom-save-variables in init.el, which makes using
custom more undesirable.

>> They are automatically replaced by text if Emacs can’t display them.
>
> Not if my font (Symbola) exists but doesn't really display them well.

I think I can fix that.

Yuan