Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 10:22:47 +0100 (CET)

Jan 2, 2022, 12:07 by casouri@gmail.com:

> Maybe that’s true for some users. I had my fair share of struggle and
> confusion with custom when I started using Emacs. IME a few lines of setq,
> global-set-key and xxx-mode are simpler and more predicable than custom.
> Neither of us has surveyed enough number of new Emacs users, so I don’t think
> we can make definitive claims. For example, I don’t think it is unacceptable
> to expect a user to understand what does setq, global-set-key or xxx-mode
> means.
> It is hard for the user to find them. Plus other problems with custom and
> Customize described above that you don’t seem to mind. Aren’t they confusing
> for even a not-so-new user? They surely confused and annoyed me for a long
> time back then.
>
> Yuan

1+

This has also been my experience when starting out and for some others I know.
In theory Custom system should have made things easier, but it didn't.
Later on when I understood Elisp better, I had some ideas as to why.  Basically
Custom is an unfinished system, it's code is not easy to understand, and it
does not integrate with the rest of Emacs well, it especially does not play well
with configuring things from init.el file.  Until it is more polished, I would
be
hesitant to recommended it to newcomers, over doing a couple of setq's.