Re: FW: [External] : Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: xenodasein
Subject: Re: FW: [External] : Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2022 20:07:27 +0100 (CET)

Jan 2, 2022, 21:51 by drew.adams@oracle.com:

>> Using customize-set-variable from Elisp is simply a hack, IIRC
>> it has weird unwanted effects like when saving customizations
>> from interface, it writes everything back into managed
>> custom-set-variables.
>>

> What you say there isn't too clear, to me.
> `customize-set-variable' doesn't save...
> Just what is the problem of saving option
> and face settings to a particular place?
>
> Code written by code (when you say "save")
> should be kept in its own place - separate
> from code that users twiddle manually.
> That's the purpose of variable `custom-file'.

When I used customize-set-variable to set some options,
inside init.el, instead of setq, then used the interface to set
some other options, and used the button saying "save for future
sessions," not only options I set in the interface, but also the
ones set before from init.el got written into the
(custom-set-variables) form, effectively causing them to get
duplicated and evaluated twice on the next start of Emacs.