Re: gsettings.m4 copyright

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: gsettings.m4 copyright
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 11:03:13 -0500

>> > Jeff and Yuuki, would you please tell us how you got this file and who
>> > has the copyright to its code?
>> I copied /usr/share/aclocal/gsettings.m4 in my PC.
> That file is installed when you install Glib, so you basically copied
> it from Glib without their permission.

Since it's under the LGPL we do have their permission.

> At this point, I think we should consider removing the file and
> rewriting the tests it performs in configure.ac, in as different a
> form from gsettings.m4 as possible.  Is that feasible?

Is there a specific problem with the file being LGPL?

IIUC the LGPLv2.1 is compatible with GPLv3 (not sure about GPL>3), so
I don't think we have a license problem right now.  Is the problem
limited to "we don't own its copyright" (i.e. something which we impose
on ourselves and could thus choose to ignore)?

        Stefan