Re: "The starting list count" ?????

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: "The starting list count" ?????
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 13:05:23 -0500

> ..  What does this mean, please?  What does "is the starting list count"
> mean?  There is only one "list", so what is the "list count"?

I'm not sure how to define it in general, but:

    (let ((x (list 1 2 3 4 5 6 7))) (setf (nthcdr 5 x) (nthcdr N x)) x)

returns a list with a #N inside of it (well, for N sufficiently small
to make sense here, obviously).

AFAIK this is only used to avoid inf-looping, but if/when you actually
care about that you should use `print-circle` which additionally
preserves sharing and gives an output that's more explicit about
what's going on, and hence easier to understand (tho not necessarily
easier to read).

        Stefan