Re: using finalizers

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: using finalizers
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 22:08:45 -0500

  > > ”If you rely on the garbage collector to release non-memory resources as
  > > a side effect of reclaiming memory, you will run out of resources if you
  > > increase the main memory of your system.”

That would be true if the criterion for when to GC is that "memory is
running low".  Increase the total memory size, and it won't run low
very often, so GC will happen less often.

But in Emacs GC is triggered by allocating a certain amount of memory.
Thus, the thing that would hold the non-memory resources too long
is increasing gc-cons-threshold.