Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2022 11:11:42 +0100

    Stefan> Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:
    >> What I propose is to agree on a default value for custom-file that could
    >> potentially be changed by the user in  init.el or .emacs
    >> and do the (load custom-file 'noerror) after loading the init file as a
    >> default behaviour for Emacs

    Stefan> FWIW, I support this proposal.

    Stefan> With such a default, I agree that we should load it after init.el by
    Stefan> default (so you don't need to type that into your init.el).

What would you do for users who already have 'custom-set-variables' in
their init file? You'd have to arrange for custom-file *not* to be set
for them, since otherwise subsequent saves of custom variables end up
in the wrong file.

Iʼm not 100% sure you'd want it loaded after the init file either: how
would you then do further changes that depend on the values set in
your custom file?

Robert