Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-w

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 21:04:32 +0800

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> Say we go a conservative approach and we only load custom-file
> automatically if set by the user.

I have this in init.el:

  (setq custom-file (expand-file-name "custom.el"
                                      user-emacs-directory))
  (load custom-file)

I don't understand what's so bad about the third line that warrants

That method of loading the custom file is even documented in the doc
string of `custom-file', so everyone who changes his custom file should
know about it.

Besides, since the original discussion was about a setup wizard, we
could arrange for that setup wizard to set up the custom file for the
user if he so desires.

> We wait to see if people like it and then include a message when
> custom-file was already loaded by the user.

Sometimes it is important for the user to manually control when the
custom file is loaded.  Having such a message would lead to an
unreasonable amount of false positives, just like highlighting all
bidirectional reordering characters in source code would.

Thanks.