Re: NonGNU ELPA work

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA work
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2022 00:04:51 -0800

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> The first thing the archives will do for us is tell _us_ what happened
> in that past discussion.  That alone will be helpful by itself.
>
>   > In my experience when a problem shows up, we just go through the usual
>   > routine of trying to figure out who's currently in charge (often it's
>   > someone else than last time we communicated) and then talk to them to
>   > see how we can get it fixed.
>
> I expect it will sometimes help to be able to say, "So-and-so made the
> following arrangement with us.  How about if we continue it?"
>
> Keeping this archive will be as easy as adding a cc to the messages.
> With so little cost or invconvenience, there is no reason not to do this.

Most communication doesn't take place over email, so this logic doesn't
work.  In any case, I don't think any of this improves the situation
over what Stefan Monnier writes is likely to happen.

If we notice a problem, or someone else does, we are more than capable
to handle them then and there.

If there is a problem and the maintainer wont cooperate, then we can
always make our own fork of the package, possibly just adding a patch
removing the problematic bits, or just remove the package completely.