Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-w

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Default custom file was: Re: Propose to add setup-wizard.el to ELPA
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2022 12:46:33 +0800

>> There goes the _most_ important aspect of this: it's been around for a
>> long time, which is precisely why it's a great idea to stick with it.

> What part of "no, I'm not saying this isn't
> important", did you have trouble with?

You proceeded to dismiss the importance of that problem.

> That's a pretty broad argument.  It argues
> against pretty much all of the small & large
> changes Emacs has undergone over the last
> couple of decades.

[...]

> It's a blanket argument against both good
> & bad changes.  No addition of you-name-it.

This is not an addition of a new feature, which should be off by default
if it interferes with existing code (think lexical binding).  It is a
change to very long-standing behaviour that is also relied on by many
people.

> (Think how long the lack of lexical binding
> was "established".)

And lexical binding is still optional, so the use of dynamic binding by
default is as established as it used to be.

> (And try arguing "longstanding behavior"
> against some change coming from on high.
> Been there.)
> The number of things Emacs changes willy
> nilly, which oblige users to change all
> kinds of things in their code, setup, etc.,
> is far greater than what I'd prefer.
> We even live with some changes that are
> unaccompanied by any stated reason, other
> than a "Because _I_ like it".

I did not make those decisions, so I can't speak for them.  If mistakes
were made with those, however, it's not a reason to repeat them again.

> This change would cause no such disruption.

It might not for you, but would for a lot of people.