Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?

From: Brahimi Saifullah
Subject: Re: Time to merge scratch/correct-warning-pos into master, perhaps?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 13:45:25 -0300

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> I don't actually use Flymake mode.  Could you possibly give me a recipe
> to reproduce the bug, then either João or I can fix it.

Sure.

emacs -Q
M-x flymake-mode
Type anything.

I've also further tracked down the issue to `byte-compile-log-warning':

    (defun byte-compile-log-warning (string &optional fill level)
      "Log a byte-compilation warning.
    STRING, FILL and LEVEL are as described in
    `byte-compile-log-warning-function', which see."
      (funcall byte-compile-log-warning-function
               string nil
               fill   ^^^
               level))

The highlighted part used to be `byte-compile-last-position',
but it was replaced with nil. The default byte compile log warning
function  doesn't make use of that value (which is why you wouldn't
ordinarily notice it's amiss), but Flymake's function does.