Re: Speeding up the bootstrap build - a quick hack.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Speeding up the bootstrap build - a quick hack.
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 08:14:06 -0500

>> > -.PHONY: compile-first compile-main compile compile-always
>> > +.PHONY: compile-zeroth compile-first compile-main compile compile-always
>
>> > -compile-first: $(COMPILE_FIRST)
>> > +compile-zeroth: $(COMPILE_ZEROTH)
>> > +compile-first: compile-zeroth $(COMPILE_FIRST)
>
>> Is this necessary, or is it just helpful to debug the Makefile?
>
> I'm not sure.  I'm a little confused, still.

At least I can't see why `compile-first` should need to depend on
`compile-zeroth` since the

    %.elc: %.el $(COMPILE_ZEROTH)

rule should already give the same result.
So I'd suggest you drop this part of the patch and see if that causes
any kind of trouble.

> +ifeq ($(HAVE_NATIVE_COMP),yes)
> +COMPILE_ZEROTH = $(COMPILE_FIRST:.elc=.elc0)
> +endif

I think we can drop the `ifeq` test here.

As for eyeballing: LGTM, thank you.

        Stefan