Re: Speeding up the bootstrap build - a quick hack.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Speeding up the bootstrap build - a quick hack.
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 13:46:44 +0200

> Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 11:10:32 +0000
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>
>
> > No, we need two consecutive shell commands under the same target: one
> > with no-native-compile set, the other without it.
>
> No, this would not work.  It is essential to have all seven compile-first
> files byte compiled before we start native compiling any of them.  That
> is what halves the time taken for the compile-to-native of comp.el.

The following single command in src/Makefile.in

        $(MAKE) -C ../lisp compile-first EMACS="$(bootstrap_exe)"

compiles all of the seven dwarfs in one go, so I'm not sure what you
mean by "would not work".  Please elaborate.

> I don't think we can avoid two separate targets for each of these source
> files.

I don't think you understood my proposal, because this reason makes no
sense to me.