Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [nongnu] main 74116339a8 2/3: * elpa-packages (anzu): New package
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 09:05:41 +0000

Ergus <spacibba@aol.com> writes:

>>I think it would be beneficial to think of ways to encourage people to
>>consider sending patches to Emacs or packages instead of writing up yet
>>another package.  This could be in the form of posts on Reddit, IRC,
>>blogs, etc.
>>

> To not reinvent the wheel maybe look at the AUR repository page for Arch
> Linux.
>
> AUR repository just have a button on every package's page where the
> users can report obsolete outdated packages. And where the package
> maintainer can adopt or abandon (orphan) the package.

I don't think that "obsolete" or "outdated" means the same thing here.
While the AUR is a collection of build-scripts that might fall behind an
upstream source, I was thinking more of packages that have been
"obsoleted" by upstream changes, or by other packages (think of Avy
vs. ace-jump, where I think the consensus is that Avy has superseded
ace-jump).

--
        Philip Kaludercic