Re: [External] : Rename .dir-locals.el to .dir-locals.eld

From: Robin Tarsiger
Subject: Re: [External] : Rename .dir-locals.el to .dir-locals.eld
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 20:15:35 -0600

Dmitry Gutov wrote:
On 21.01.2022 01:14, Drew Adams wrote:
2. Isn't every Elisp sexp "code"?  How are you
    going to distinguish "code" from other sexps?

Try 'M-x eval-buffer' in any buffer visiting a .dir-locals.el file.

And I'll note in passing that both the Info node ‘(elisp)Intro Eval’
and the glossary of the Common Lisp HyperSpec find this idea common
enough to assign it a short name. A ‘form’ is an object meant to be
evaluated. Every form is an object, but not every object is a form
(depending on context). The separation of reading and evaluation
is also called out specifically in the above Info node, and there's
even a footnote which I read as unlinking the ‘sexp’ term from the
expectation of evaluation (but the context is ambiguous).

-RTT