Re: Undo mode

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Undo mode
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 09:51:39 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I don't think I understand the benefit of hiding this behind a mode.
>
> That was the conclusion of our discussion of the original issue.
> Please re-read it if you want to understand the reasons.

I did of course, but I still fail to see it.  Is it about the memory
consumption?  If so, did anyone measure its impact?  I'd have thought
that the memory impact was insignificant.

Or is there some other important principle at stake here?  Feel free to
elaborate.

Re-reading that discussion (now twice) just takes me back to the
conclusion that this makes Emacs harder to use, with no clear benefit.

Perhaps we should have a `low-memory-mode' to turn down _several_
defaults and disable some "memory intensive" features.  That might have
a measurable impact (we would need to check that), and would make much
more sense to me than disabling this undo command for that reason.